For marketers who are eager to stay ahead of social media trends in 2020, the following statistics will help you determine which platforms are best for your business and help balance your time and budget.
Social Media worldwide
- The number of social network users (social networks) worldwide has reached 3.5 billion people, accounting for about 46% of the world’s total population.
- A user has an average of 9 different social media accounts and spends an average of 2 hours and 16 minutes a day on social media.
- 91% of users access social media via smartphone.
- Instagram Stories feature is the rising star. In just two years, Instagram stories increased from 150 million to 500 million daily viewers.
- Facebook and Instagram are the two most popular social media platforms today. However, in recent years, many social networks have quickly become popular in a short time, typically among them, TikTok - MXH has 500 million users within just three years of its establishment.
The most popular social networking platforms
According to the latest data, 17 social media platforms currently have more than 250 million monthly users:
- Facebook - 2.41 billion people
- YouTube - 2.00 billion people
- WhatsApp - 1.60 billion people
- Facebook Messenger - 1.30 billion people
- WeChat (Weixin) - 1.11 billion people
- Instagram - 1 billion people
- QQ - 823 million people
- QZone - 572 million people
- TikTok (Douyin) - 500 million people
- Sina Weibo - 465 million people
- Reddit - 330 million people
- Twitter - 330 million people
- LinkedIn - 300 million people
- Snapchat - 294 million people
- Viber - 260 million people
- Pinterest - 265 million people
- Discord - 250 million people
For marketers looking for the most effective marketing methods on Facebook, the advice is to create highly interactive content, be active in Facebook groups, and use targeted advertising of Facebook to reach potential customers.
- Facebook ranks third among the most visited websites globally, behind only Google and Youtube.
- 74% of Facebook users visit it daily and spend an average of 38 minutes a day there.
- a Facebook user sees ten posts, leaves four comments, and clicks on eight ads per month.
- Three hundred million people use Facebook Stories every day, just behind Instagram of 500 million.
- Videos on Facebook receive the highest engagement rates, albeit only 3% of the total content.
- 1.4 billion people use groups on Facebook.
- Ninety million small businesses use Facebook and other services like Home, Groups, and Messenger.
- Facebook Ads can reach over 2 billion people.
- A Facebook post has an average reach rate of 5.5%, while an average engagement rate of 3.6%.
Instagram stories will be the best channel for businesses looking to reach potential customers. Simultaneously, Instagram posts with carousels will have a higher organic engagement rate than regular posts.
- Instagram users will spend an average of 28 minutes a day by 2020.
- More than 200 million Instagram users visit at least 1 page of a business every day.
- Interaction with brands on Instagram is ten times higher than Facebook, 54 times higher than Pinterest and 84 times higher than Twitter.
- Carousels increase the rate of natural engagement compared to videos and images.
- More than 150 million people use Direct Messages every month to interact with businesses.
- 60% of businesses on Instagram use Stories to engage with customers once a month.
- Branded stories have an 85% completion rate.
- More than a quarter of marketers report that they spend most of their marketing budgets on Instagram.
For marketers or business owners, building a Youtube channel for the business can be very effective. Here are some talking numbers that will analyze Youtube’s success as a marketing platform
- Youtube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world, behind only Google.
- 82% of Americans use Youtube, and it is also the largest social networking channel in the US
- Youtube has more than 2 billion monthly users, and more than 1 billion hours of users watch Youtube every day.
- More than 90% of users say they have learned lessons from new brands and products on Youtube.
- In the past two years, the number of small and medium-sized businesses advertising on Youtube has doubled.
- 79% of marketers think that YouTube is the most effective video marketing platform
- Youtube ads are 84% more likely to attract attention than TV ads.
LinkedIn is quickly becoming one of the most attractive social networks for businesses. This platform is three times more likely to convert than other social platforms.
Let’s take a look at the numbers of LinkedIn to get the best overview of this social network.
- More than 100 million job profiles are posted on LinkedIn each month.
- LinkedIn posts with no images have a 98% higher comment rate, and posts with links have a 200% higher engagement rates.
- There are 630 million professionals on LinkedIn, 90 million influential users, and 63 million users in decision-making positions.
- 49% of LinkedIn users make at least $ 75,000 / year.
- 605.4 million people can be reached through ads on LinkedIn.
- 92% of B2B marketers prefer LinkedIn to other social networks.
- 59% of B2B marketers say LinkedIn is very effective at bringing in leads.
Social marketers often ignore the power of Pinterest, but it is the fastest growing social network in the world.
- Pinterest currently has over 300 million monthly users.
- Total Pinterest ad revenue is projected to exceed $ 1 billion by 2020.
- The average user time spent on Pinterest is 14.2 minutes.
- 7 out of 10 Pinterest users are female.
- 28% of social media marketers use Pinterest to increase brand awareness.
Advertising on Social Networks
Businesses of different sizes can use social networks advertising to attract potential customers. Targeted ads are very effective when used with Millennials.
- Globally, spending on social media advertising is expected to reach $ 98 billion by the end of 2019.
- Total spending on advertising on social media is expected to double by 2023.
- 40% of small businesses rely on advertising for revenue.
- 26% of people who click on Facebook ads will make a purchase.
- 50% of Z generation and 42% of Millennials believe that advertising on social media is most relevant.
- 30-second ads on Youtube videos have a 30% higher view-through rate than a 15-second ad.
User interaction on social networks
Improving social interaction rates also improves other online marketing activities for businesses. Here are the latest statistics on user interaction on social media.
- Content that attracts visuals (visual content) has a 40 times higher share rate on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Facebook posts with less than 250 characters get 60% more engagement.
Social networks for businesses
Social media has completely changed the way businesses operate. With more and more people using mobile phones and social networks in their buying process, there are several reasons why your business should be active on social media.
- 50% of users said they follow brands to learn about products and services and find more information.
- 21% of customers prefer to use texting on social media than to call customer care services.
- 56% of customers will unfollow the brand if they provide a bad social media service.
- 91% of retail businesses use at least two social networks.